What has President Obama done so far?
So what all has Obama done since he took office?I'm sick and tired of people asking "What has Obama done?" So here's a list of things he's done since he's been in office. Remember: He was elected President. He wasn't elected Jesus! The list is still growing. Let me know if I missed anything.
1. Saved the collapse of the American automotive industry by making GM restructure before bailing them out, and putting incentive money to help the industry.
2. Shifted the focus of the war from Iraq to Afghanistan, and putting the emphasis on reducing terrorism where it should have been all along.
3. Relaxed Anti-American tensions throughout the world.
4. Signed order to close the prisoner "torture camp" at Guantanamo Bay.
5. Has made the environment a national priority, and a primary source for job creation.
6. Has made education a national priority by putting emphasis and money behind new ideas like charter schools, but speaking directly to school children in telling them they have to do their part.
7. Won the Nobel Peace Prize.
8. $789 billion economic stimulus plan.
(Obama put $789B into the US/ Bush put $800B and tons of American blood into assassinating Saddam Hussein to settle a personal vendetta)
9. Appointment of first Latina to the Supreme Court.
10. Attractive tax write-offs for those who buy hybrid automobiles.
11. Authorized construction/opening of additional health centers to care for veterans.
12. Beginning the process of reforming and restructuring the military 20 years after the Cold War to a more modern fighting force. this includes new procurement policies, increasing size of military, new technology and cyber units and operations, etc.
13. Better body armor is now being provided to our troops.
14. "Cash for clunkers" program offers vouchers to trade in fuel inefficient, polluting old cars for new cars; stimulates auto sales.
15. Changed the failing/status quo military command in Afghanistan.
16. Closed offshore tax safe havens.
17. Deployed additional troops to Afghanistan.
18. Ended media "blackout" on war casualties; reporting full information.
19. Ended previous policy of awarding no-bid defense contracts.
20. Ended previous policy of cutting the FDA and circumventing FDA rules.
21. Ended previous practice of forbidding Medicare from negotiating with drug manufacturers for cheaper drugs; the federal government is now realizing hundreds of millions in savings.
22. Ended previous practice of having White House aides rewrite scientific and environmental rules, regulations, and reports.
23. Ended previous policy of not regulating and labeling carbon dioxide emissions.
24. Ended previous policy of offering tax benefits to corporations who outsource American jobs; the new policy is to promote in-sourcing to bring jobs back.
25. Ended previous policy on torture; the US now has a no torture policy and is in compliance with the Geneva Convention standards.
26. Ended previous practice of protecting credit card companies; in place of it are new consumer protections from credit card industry's predatory practices.
27. Ended previous "stop-loss" policy that kept soldiers in Iraq/Afghanistan longer than their enlistment date.
28. Energy producing plants must begin preparing to produce 15% of their energy from renewable sources.
29. Established a National Performance Officer charged with saving the federal government money and making federal operations more efficient.
30. Established a new cyber security office.
31. Expanded the SCHIP program to cover health care for 4 million more children.
32. Expanding vaccination programs.
33. Families of fallen soldiers have expenses.
34. Federal support for stem-cell and new biomedical research.
35. Funds for high-speed, broadband Internet access to K-12 schools.
36. Immediate and efficient response to the floods in North Dakota and other natural disasters.
37. Improved housing for military personnel.
38. Improved conditions at Walter Reed Military Hospital and other military hospitals.
39. Improving benefits for veterans.
40. Increased infrastructure spending (roads, bridges, power plants.) after years of neglect.
41. Increasing opportunities in AmeriCorps program.
42. Increasing pay and benefits for military personnel.
43. Increasing student loans.
44. Instituted a new policy on Cuba, allowing Cuban families to return "home" to visit loved ones.
45. Limited salaries of senior White House aides; cut to $100,000.
46. Limits on lobbyists' access to the White House.
47. Limits on White House aides working for lobbyists after their tenure in the administration.
48. Lower drug costs for seniors.
49. Making more loans available to small businesses.
50. Many more press conferences and town halls and much more media access than previous administration.
51. Negotiated deal with Swiss banks to permit US government to gain access to records of tax evaders and criminals.
52. New Afghan War policy that limits aerial bombing and prioritizes aid, development of infrastructure, diplomacy, and good government practices by Afghans.
53. New federal funding for science and research labs.
54. New funds for school construction.
55. Ordered all federal agencies to undertake a study and make recommendations for ways to cut spending.
56. Ordered a review of all federal operations to identify and cut wasteful spending and practices.
57. Phasing out the expensive F-22 war plane and other outdated weapons systems, which weren't even used or needed in Iraq/Afghanistan.
58. Reengaged in the agreements/talks on global warming and greenhouse gas emissions.
59. Reengaged in the treaties/agreements to protect the Antarctic.
60. Removed restrictions on embryonic stem-cell research.
61. Renewed loan guarantees for Israel.
62. Restarted the nuclear non-proliferation talks and building back up the nuclear inspection infrastructure/protocol s.
63. Returned money authorized for refurbishment of White House offices and private living quarters.
64. Sent envoys to Middle East and other parts of the world that had been neglected for years; reengaging in multilateral and bilateral talks and diplomacy.
65. Signed national service legislation; expanded national youth service program.
66. States are permitted to enact federal fuel efficiency standards above federal standards.
67. Students struggling to make college loan payments can have their loans refinanced.
68. Successful release of US captain held by Somali pirates; authorized the SEALS to do their job.
69. The FDA is now regulating tobacco.
70. The missile defense program is being cut by $1.4 billion in 2010.
71. The public can meet with federal housing insurers to refinance (the new plan can be completed in one day) a mortgage if they are having trouble paying.
72. The "secret detention" facilities in Eastern Europe and elsewhere are being closed.
73. US financial and banking rescue plan.
74. US Navy increasing patrols off Somali coast.
75. Visited more countries and met with more world leaders than any president in his first six months in office.
76. Improved relations with Iran.
77. Improved U.S. policy on climate change.
78. Set timetable for exiting Iraq (already started removing troops).
79. Improved relations with Russia.
80. Improved relations with the Islamic World.
81. Made progress towards grater cooperation on limiting nuclear proliferation.
82. Economic stimulus plan has created jobs. (Unemployment rate decreasing).
83. Drastically slowed down the recession.
84. Saved Wall Street.
85. Passed the Lilly Ledbetter Act (equal work for equal pay).
86. HEALTHCARE REFORM.
87. Forced the arrogant General Stanley McChrystal to resign and replaced him with the more competent General David Petraeus.
88. Ended the Iraq war that Bush got us into like he promised and formulated a plan to keep an eye on things there with 50,000 troops.
By the way, the recession ended in June 2009. I'm sorry to the job situation didn't improve overnight, but he stated that it would take awhile. John Boehner and Mitch McConnell aren't helping matters; neither are Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, or any of those Tea Partiers.
Once again, this is a lot to accomplish in such a short amount of time. He was elected President, he wasn't elected Jesus.